Since the B. of M. is supposed to be a revelation from God like the Bible, both should display equal evidence of God's wisdom. LDS leaders have certainly made some great claims for it. For example, "The Prophet Joseph Smith said, "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" (T. of P.J.S., p. 194).
Eph 2:20 King James Bible
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
One of the biggest problem Mormons have is there keystone or cornerstone should be Jesus not the Book of Mormon.
a central stone at the summit of an arch, locking the whole together.
synonyms: foundation, basis, linchpin, cornerstone, base, principle, guiding principle, core, heart, center, crux, fundament
"the keystone of the government's policy"
He also said, "Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none" (Ibid., p. 71). But, Smith's successor, LDS Prophet Brigham Young, said, "There is the New Testament; you may leave out the Book of Mormon and the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, and follow the precepts of that book faithfully, and I will warrant you to arrive at salvation" (J. of D., Vol. I, p. 244). This is another example of LDS prophetic inconsistency.
LDS Apostle Orson Pratt wrote a series of questions and answers in which he said, "Q. What will be the consequences if they (the United States) do not embrace the Book of Mormon as a divine revelation? A. They will be destroyed from the land and sent down to hell, like all other generations who have rejected a divine message" (The Seer, p. 215). The United States still has not embraced the B. of M. after more than 150 years, but they have not been destroyed either!
Pratt also said, "Before this [the B. of M.] was offered to the world, the Lord confirmed it by opening the heavens in broad daylight, and sending down an holy angel, who descended in the presence of four individuals, three besides Mr. Smith, and the angel took the plates, and turned them over leaf after leaf, while, at the same time, the voice of the Lord out of the heavens told them it had been translated correctly, commanding them to send forth their testimony to all nations, Kingdoms, tongues, and people" (J. of D., Vol. II, p. 293).
Joseph Smith told the same story in the D.H.C., Vol. I, pp. 54-55, yet over 4000 changes have been made in the B. of M. since the Lord said it was correct!
•President Ezra Taft Benson stated: "Unlike the Bible, which passed through generations of copyists, translators, and corrupt religionists who tampered with the text, the Book of Mormon came from writer to reader in just one inspired step of translation" ("The Keystone of Our Religion", The Ensign, January 1992, page 5).
•Joseph Smith claimed: "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was more correct than any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.194).
•An official and widely read LDS publication reads: "Men can get nearer to the Lord, can have more of the spirit of conversion and conformity in their hearts...can gain a better understanding of the doctrines of salvation through the Book of Mormon than they can through the Bible...there will be more people saved in the kingdom of God - ten thousand times over - because of the Book of Mormon than there will be because of the Bible" (The Ensign, November 1984, p. 7).
•A letter from the First Presidency (Presidents Benson, Hinckley, and Monson) to all members of the Church states: "The most reliable way to measure the accuracy of any biblical passage is not by comparing different texts, but by comparison with the Book of Mormon and modern-day revelations". (Church News, June 20, 1992, page 3, letter dated May 22, 1992).
“The Most Correct Book”: Joseph Smith’s Appraisal
Robert L. Millet
Robert L. Millet was a professor of ancient scripture at Brigham Young University when this was published.
On November 28, 1841, the Prophet Joseph Smith met with the Nauvoo City Council and members of the Quorum of the Twelve in the home of President Brigham Young. History of the Church records that he conversed “with them upon a variety of subjects. Brother Joseph Fielding was present, having been absent four years on a mission to England.” It was in that setting, at the Sunday city council meeting in the Young’s residence, that Joseph Smith made what has come to be one of the most axiomatic and memorable statements in Mormon literature: “I told the brethren,” he said, “that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” In what follows, we will consider the possible meaning and implications of the various parts of this rather bold declaration about this extrabiblical document. We will consider the nature of the Book of Mormon’s correctness, how it is the keystone, the precepts it contains, the poignancy of those precepts, its importance to the world, and finally, its prophetic destiny as a book of holy scripture.
Pratt also claimed, "If we compare the historical, prophetical, and doctrinal parts of the Book of Mormon with the great truths of science and nature, we find no contradictions — no absurdities — nothing unreasonable" (A. of F., p. 505).
teachings of Mormons not found in Book of Mormon - actually the Book of Mormon contridicts Mormonism
1. The plurality of Gods (Mormon Doctrine pp. 576, 577)
2. The baptism for the dead done in holy temples (Mormon Doctrine pp. 72,73)
3. Celestial marriage which no unworthy member or outsider can attend (Mormon Doctrine pp. 117, 118)
4. Polygamy needed to become a God (Journal of Discourse, Vol. II p. 269)
5. Blacks were cursed with a dark skin (Mormon Doctrine p. 109)
6. You can become a God if you are worthy; celestial marriage required (Mormon Doctrine p. 118)
7. We were all pre-existent spirits (Mormon Doctrine p. 589)
8. God has a body of flesh and bones (Mormon Doctrine p. 289)
9. We have a Heavenly Mother as well as a Heavenly Father (Mormon Doctrine p. 516)
10. There are three levels of heaven. To go to the highest kingdom, you must be a Mormon. Honorable persons go to the Terrestrial kingdom. The dishonest, liars, sorcerers, adulterers and whoremongers go to the Telestial kingdom. (Mormon Doctrine pp. 420, 421)
11. God and his wife achieved a celestial marriage (Celestial Marriage Manual p. 1)
12. Heavenly Father died just like Jesus (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith p. 346)
13. God was once just like us and progressed to godhood (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith p. 345)
14. God has a father and His Father has a Father, etc. (Mormon Doctrine p. 322)
15. Jesus and Lucifer are spirit brothers (Mormon Doctrine p. 192)
16. Jesus and Lucifer each had a plan to people the earth. Jesus' plan was chosen and caused Lucifer to rebel and he and the angels that followed him were cast out of heaven. (Mormon Doctrine p. 193)
17. God lives near a star called Kolob (Mormon Doctrine p. 428)
18. Temple endowments are so sacred that you must be worthy to enter (Mormon Doctrine pp. 619, 620)
19. Jesus was not able to keep his church together (History of the Church Vol. 6 pp. 408, 409)
20. In the future, you will need Joseph Smith's consent in order to enter the celestial kingdom (Journal of Discourse Vol. 7 p.289)
21. Not everything you'll need to know concerning salvation will be recorded in the Bible but there will be additional scriptures (Mormon Doctrine p. 83)"
22. Jesus was Married and Practiced polygamy (Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p.210).
(Journal of Discourses, vol.2, p.82).
(Journal of Discourses, vol.4, p.259).
23. No eternal hell
LDS Apostle John Widtsoe declared, "In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there is no hell. All will find a measure of salvation" (E. & R., p. 216). Yet, the B. of M. says, "The devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell and behold others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell" (II Nephi 28:21-22). Thus, the B. of M. explains where Mormonism got its doctrine of no hell!
The B. of M. also says, "If ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked" (Alma 34:35).
24. Animal sacrifice after Jesus' blood was shed
RESTORATION OF BLOOD SACRIFICES. We are living in the dispensation of the fulness of times into which all things are to be gathered, and all things are to be restored since the beginning. Even this earth is to be restored to the condition which prevailed before Adam's transgression. 44 Now in the nature of things, the law of sacrifice will have to be restored, or all things which were decreed by the Lord would not be restored. It will be necessary, therefore, for the sons of Levi, who offered the blood sacrifices anciently in Israel, to offer such a sacrifice again to round out and complete this ordinance in this dispensation. Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored. 45
The sacrifice of animals will be done to complete the restoration when the temple spoken of is built; at the beginning of the millennium, or in the restoration, blood sacrifices will be performed long enough to complete the fulness of the restoration in this dispensation. Afterwards sacrifice will be of some other character.
3 Nephi 9:19 Jesus was supposed to have said: "And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings."
25. Atonement happened in Garden of Gethsemane
The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints does not view the atonement of Christ in the biblical and historical Christian manner. Instead of the atonement occurring on the cross, Mormonism teaches that the atonement occurred primarily in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus shed His blood. Please consider the following quotes from a BYU professor and the Mormon apostle Bruce McConkie.
- BYU professor Robert J. Matthews, who on page 282 of his book, A Bible! A Bible!, wrote, "It was in Gethsemane, on the slopes of the Mount of Olives, that Jesus made his perfect atonement by the shedding of his blood-more so than on the cross."
- Mormon Apostle Bruce McConkie, stated, "Where and under what circumstances was the atoning sacrifice of the Son of God made? Was it on the Cross of Calvary or in the Garden of Gethsemane? It is to the Cross of Christ that most Christians look when centering their attention upon the infinite and eternal atonement. And certainly the sacrifice of our Lord was completed when he was lifted up by men; also, that part of his life and suffering is more dramatic and, perhaps, more soul stirring. But in reality the pain and suffering, the triumph and grandeur, of the atonement took place primarily in Gethsemane," (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, vol. 1, p. 774
1 Nephi 11:33
And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world.
So what did happen in the Garden of Gethsemane? The narrative is found in Matthew 26:36-46, Mark 14:32-42 and Luke 22:39-46. John's gospel mentions a garden (John 18:1), but only mentions that the arrest of Jesus took place there. Only Matthew and Mark identify the garden as Gethsemane. Only Luke tells us that His perspiration fell "as it were" great drops of blood. In the original Greek text the word for "as it were" is "hosei" which means "appearing similar to." In other words, the great drops of sweat falling from His brow would be just as heavy as if he had some kind of flesh wound, perhaps in the head, and heavy drops of blood were falling. But it was sweat, not blood. He did not bleed in the garden, much less bleed for our sins there. How do we know this? Luke has the answer.
Luke was a doctor, a physician specifically (Colossians 4:14). He would certainly know the difference between sweat and bleeding. Admittedly, there is a condition in which one can actually sweat blood. It is called "Hematidrosis." It is a medical condition that is very rare, but still documented in ancient times and Dr. Luke would definitely be familiar with it. "Hematidrosis" is also a Greek word that was available to Luke (who was Greek himself). Luke, in his role as Biblical historian, continually in Scripture is careful to use the most exacting terms and descriptions, but he did not use "hematidrosis," but instead used the word "hidros" -- sweat (without the "hema" -- or blood). Luke is very careful here to tell us that Jesus perspired in the garden, but did not sweat blood there. That's because the cross is the place where he shed his blood for our sins -- regardless of the Latter-day Saints telling us just the opposite.
26. Eternal Progression
27. Maintaining genealogical records
28. Mormons hold keys to the kingdom
29 . Eternal Families
30 . creation from matter and Ex Nihilo wrong
Jacob 4:9 For behold, by the power of his a word man came upon the face of the earth, which earth was created by the power of his word. Wherefore, if God being able to speak and the world was, and to speak and man was created, O then, why not able to command the dearth, or the workmanship of his hands upon the face of it, according to his will and pleasure?
32. Everyone will be saved thru Grace just not exalted
32. God is not omniscient
God himself is increasing and progressing in knowledge, power, and dominion, and will do so, worlds without end." Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses Vol. 6:120
33. Garden of Eden in Missouri
34. Continuing Revelation
35. Mormon Plan of salvation
36. The ROCK is revelation rather than Jesus
12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
37. God incomprehensible wrong
Mosiah 4:9 Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
38. Sacred underwear
39. Families are forever
40. Michael, known in mortality as Adam,
41. Mormon sealings
Hinckley says Mormons Believe in a Different Jesus
"In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages.'" (LDS Church News Week ending June 20, 1998, p. 7).
Gospel Through the Ages M.R. Hunter Mormon leader page 104
GOD AN EXALTED BEING
The Gospel of Jesus Christ teaches that God the Eternal Father is an exalted being. "In the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge." 1 Mormon prophets have continuously taught the sublime truth that God the Eternal Father was once a mortal man who passed through a school of earth life similar to that through which we are now passing. He became God—an exalted being—through obedience to the same eternal Gospel truths that we are given opportunity today to obey.
We are consistently taught that The Book of Mormon is the "most correct book" and that it contains the truth, the Word of God, and the fullness [sic] of the gospel (Doctrine and Covenants 19:26; 20:9; 27:5; 42:12; 135:3). Exactly where in The Book of Mormon are the following doctrines or concepts taught?
- God has a body of flesh and bones.
- God is an exalted man.
- God is a product of eternal progression.
- The plurality of gods.
- God "organized" the world rather than "created" it.
- There is no eternal hell and punishment.
- Men can become gods.
- "Intelligences" are eternal.
- Pre-existing spirits of men.
- Marriage for eternity.
- Polygamy is not an abomination in the sight of God.
- Three degrees of glory.
- A "mother" in heaven.
- A Melchizedek priesthood consisting of the offices of Elder, Seventy, and High Priest.
- An Aaronic priesthood consisting of the offices of Deacon, Teacher, and Priest.
- Negroes are to be denied the priesthood.
- The functions and offices of Evangelists, Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies, Assistants to the Twelve, a First Presidency, and a President of the Church.
- The Book of Mormon is the "Stick of Joseph."1
Articles of Faith
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? 2And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Notice how Mormonism fell for the serpents first two lies, question God’s Word and you can be a god.
6. I Nephi 20:1 originally read exactly like Is. 48:1 in the King James Bible. Now it reads, "...out of the waters of Judah or out of the waters of baptism." Apostle Mark E. Petersen said, "A direct reference to baptism was plainly deleted from Isaiah 48:1" (As Translated Correctly, p. 14). Petersen was attempting to show how the B. of M. helped correct errors in the Bible, but he picked a very poor example because it is the B. of M. that has been changed! Neither the Hebrew text of Is. 48:1 nor the original B. of M. support the present reading of I Nephi 20:1. Even as late as the 1888 edition of the B. of M., that phrase was not in the text. Also interesting is the Joseph Smith Translations reads the same as original BOM and King James version
Notice how the Article’s of Faith teaches to question God’s word by insinuating the Bible might be translated incorrectly , yet it’s the Book of Mormon which has been changed . Can any Mormon show the changes in the Bible like the link above show the actual changes in the Book of Mormon ?